We are now OPEN for submissions.
We will be open April 15, 2017, for submissions. Please follow these submission guidelines carefully and check here for updated guidelines before submitting new manuscripts.
You must be interested in giving us your book rights (exclusive Worldwide English electronic and print) for a period of 5 years minimum.
Do not query us if you are NOT already set up on Twitter, Facebook and a blog, and using them regularly--even if you don't have a book published. Do NOT query us if you aren't willing to promote your book online. And do NOT query us if you aren't open to editing, revising and having your book edited, even if you have already paid for editing.
THIS YEAR WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- Writers who have a strong following on social networks (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and promote their writing via these networks, regardless if they're published or not.
- Original novels or works of non-fiction (No previously published or self-published titles).
4. Romance/Chick Lit (no Erotica)
5. Historical Fiction
6. Middle Grade and/or Young Adult chapter books
7. Non-fiction: Self-Help (by experts; no memoirs); Inspirational; Business/Money, Health; Cookbooks (author must provide professional-looking photos).
Please do not send us anything other than these genres at this time. Thank you.
1. We accept email submissions only; please address emails/queries to Cheryl Tardif.
2. Your query should include a brief bio, writing background and publishing history. It should also clearly state the genre of your novel or subject of non-fiction work, the word count, pen name if used. List the social networks you're on and links to your blog and/or website. Give sales data of previously published titles and total number of reviews on Amazon.com. Briefly describe how you have promoted previous titles. Then tell us about your new novel in three sentences. Hook us! But keep the email portion short--one page if printed.
3. We accept manuscripts from 65,000-100,000 words (adult fiction) and 25 pages minimum for children's picture books.
4. We accept Microsoft Word .doc files only.
5. Send us a query email and attach a sample of the first 5 chapters, along with a 3-paragraph synopsis attachment that reads like back cover text.
6. Please allow 4 weeks before sending us a second email or reminder.
7. Multiple submissions are fine -- until we offer you a contract -- but do let us know if another publisher is considering your work too.
8. If you don't have an agent, that is fine with us. We prefer not dealing with agents as our contract is simple, fair and not usually negotiable.
9. NO GRAPHIC SEXUALITY SCENES, INCEST SCENES OR RAPE SCENES. "Romance sex" is acceptable; alluding to abuse is fine; rape scenes not graphically described may be fine if it adds to the story. WE CURRENTLY DO NOT PUBLISH EROTICA or LGBT ROMANCE.
10. If we have taken the time to give you any feedback on a work and then invite you to send us something new, make sure you take the time to address those same concerns within the new work. We all have bad writing habits.
12. If we ask for your full manuscript, please format it according to our formatting guidelines below. Simple is best.
1. Send manuscripts SINGLE spaced only, as a MS Word doc.
2. Do not use tabs. Use settings under Paragraph formatting to indent first line of paragraphs 0.3". No block text for novels/chapter books.
3. Normal style and Times New Roman font only, including title. 11 pt. for main body. Don't switch fonts.
4. Use italics where necessary and bold for title, author and chapter headings; no old school formatting with these please.
5. Use 1 line space for scene breaks.
6. Do not add spaces after paragraphs.
7. Do not use heading styles, levels, tables, TOC, bookmarks, borders, strange symbols or uncommon formatting or punctuation.
8. Double quotations for dialogue.
9. Use Section Breaks (Next Page), not Page Breaks.
10. Start chapters on the first line of the page. Do not have extra line spaces above chapter headings.
11. No graphics. We do not normally publish books with illustrations.
12. No headers or footers.
13. No page numbers.
14. Margins set to .5" all around.
15. Page size set to 6" w by 9" h.
16. First page begins with book title on first line, 18 pt, bold, one line space then next line with author name, 14 pt, bold. No word count, author address or extraneous verbiage on first page. Just start your story; we'll get that info later if needed.
What are we looking for?
1. Quality, professional writing.
2. A novel that has seen solid editing (by you and at least 2 others, such as a professional editor, fellow writers, English teachers etc). If your book needs rewriting and a lot of substantive editing, it won't pass our vetting system. Yes, we do have our own editors, and yes, they do edit the books we accept. Just don't send us sloppy work. If you want to be published and read, be professional and send us your BEST work.
3. Unique plots, voices, characters, concepts and situations.
4. Passion in the writing and in the author's efforts to promote him/her work/self.
5. Internet savvy writers. If you have a website, blog, Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, Goodreads, Shelfari accounts, you'll move to the top half of submissions. If you use these networks regularly, you'll move to the head of the line. We expect our authors to use Twitter, Facebook and a blog, at the very least.
6. If you know Cheryl Tardif from a social network, you'll move to the top of the TBR pile. If you don't know me, get to know me. You know what they say: it's not what you know; it's WHO you know. :-)
Email query to email@example.com