We are now CLOSED for SUBMISSIONS.
We will be open next spring (2018) for submissions. We are looking for novellas between 20,000-30,000 words for an imprint geared for busy people who don't have time to read a standard full-length novel.
IMAJIN QWICKIES® must be complete, original stories (fiction only), with no loose ends in the major plot. However, we will look at potential series that may or may not have a minor subplot that carries through the series. We will accept spin-offs of your other published works, provided your publisher does not have exclusive rights to your characters. Those with potential series will move to the top of the slush pile. Stories must be rich in dialogue and action. Your opening sentence is KEY. So is the first paragraph. Go into the story late and get out early in order to achieve a perfect story arc. Though short, the story should not feel rushed, especially at the end.
We are only interested in the following fiction genres:
1. Mystery/Crime Thriller
2. Romance (NO Erotica!)
3. Chicklit (Humorous Mystery or Light, Contemporary Romance or a combo)
No kids (MG or YA) fiction. And nothing other than the above genres.
1. We accept email submissions only; please address emails/queries to Cheryl Tardif.
2. Your query should include a brief bio, writing background and publishing history, if any. Clearly state the genre of your novella, title, word count and pen name, if used. List the social networks you're on and their links, plus links to your blog and/or website. Give sales data of previously published titles and total number of reviews. Briefly describe how you have promoted previous titles. Then tell us about your story in three sentences. Hook us! Keep the email portion short--one page if printed.
3. We accept manuscripts from 20,000-30,000 words only for QWICKIES.
4. We accept Microsoft Word .doc files only.
5. Attach a sample of the first 5 chapters, along with a 3-paragraph synopsis attachment that reads like back cover text.
6. Please allow 4 weeks before sending us a second email or reminder.
7. No multiple submissions.
8. If you don't have an agent, that is fine with us. We prefer not dealing with agents as our contract is simple and fair.
9. NO GRAPHIC SEXUALITY SCENES, INCEST SCENES OR RAPE SCENES. "Romance sex" is acceptable; alluding to abuse is fine; rape scenes not graphically described may be fine if it adds to the story. WE DO NOT PUBLISH EROTICA or LGBT.
10. If we ask for your full manuscript, please format it according to our formatting guidelines below. Simple is best.
1. Send manuscripts SINGLE spaced only, as a MS Word doc.
2. Do not use tabs. Use settings under Paragraph formatting to indent paragraphs .3".
3. Normal style and Times New Roman font only, including title. 11 pt. for main body. Don't switch fonts.
4. Use italics where necessary and bold for title, author and chapter headings; no old school formatting with these please.
5. Use 1 line space for scene breaks.
6. Do not add spaces after paragraphs.
7. Do not use heading styles, levels, tables, TOC, bookmarks, borders, strange symbols or uncommon formatting or punctuation.
8. Double quotations for dialogue.
9. Use Section Breaks (Next Page), not Page Breaks.
10. Start chapters on the first line of the page. Do not have extra line spaces above chapter headings.
11. No graphics. We do not normally publish books with illustrations.
12. No headers or footers.
13. No page numbers.
14. Margins set to .5" all around.
15. Page size set to 6" w by 9" h.
16. First page begins with book title on first line, 18 pt, bold, one line space then next line with author name, 14 pt, bold. No word count, author address or extraneous verbiage on first page. Just start your story.
17. DO NOT SEND US A QUERY OR YOUR STORY IF IT SAYS WE ARE CLOSED FOR SUBMISSIONS ABOVE. Doing so will NOT impress us.
What are we looking for?
1. Quality, professional writing.
2. A novella that has seen solid editing (by you and at least 1 other, such as a professional editor, fellow writers, English teachers etc). If your story needs rewriting and a lot of substantive editing, it won't pass our vetting system. Yes, we do have our own editors, and yes, they do edit the books we accept, including QWICKIES. But don't send us sloppy work. If you want to be published and read, be professional and send us your BEST work.
3. Unique plots, voices, characters, concepts and situations.
4. Passion in the writing and in the author's efforts to promote him/her work/self.
5. Internet savvy writers. If you have a website, blog, Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, Goodreads, Shelfari accounts, you'll move to the top half of submissions. If you use these networks regularly, you'll move to the head of the line. We expect our authors to use Twitter, Facebook and a blog, at the very least.
6. Our contract is simple and straightforward, no confusing legalese. We're asking for 5 years, print and electronic worldwide English rights. View a sample Qwickies contract.
7. If you have followed ALL of the above AND you know Cheryl Tardif from a social network, you'll move to the top of the TBR pile. If you don't know me, get to know me. You know what they say: it's not what you know; it's WHO you know. :-)
Email query to firstname.lastname@example.org